Monday, May 21, 2012

Kick it

So people here (I'm generalizing) make bucket lists. Not necessarily of things to do before they die, more short term, like things to do while they live in Chicago, or just things to do during the summer. I do have a list of restaurants I want to eat at that gets longer at a much faster rate than it ever gets shorter (because it really never gets shorter). I now lack the companionship, decisiveness, and sometimes budget to get through the list with any kind of efficiency.

My summer bucket list would be short, mainly because I have no idea what to do here. A year and a half and I'm still practically a tourist, with the majority of my memories plagued by circumstances I'm now forced to forget. I would honestly love to rewind back to 2010 and do it all differently. Maybe not even move here. But no point in pondering the impossible, right? Time moves forward. Only our shortcomings hold us back.

A few ideas...

BOAT RIDE: I've been on a boat millions of times, but never out on Lake Michigan.

STREET FESTIVALS: Chicago has a ton of them. I've been to very, very few.

FARMERS MARKETS: Everyone here is obsessed. I've been maybe twice.

ROAD TRIP: Nothing too fancy, something within a few hours. Just the opportunity to leave the city. I like going places, near or far. Too much of the world is worth seeing to just stay in one place. And while I never would have said I had any kind of affinity for driving, now that I don't get the opportunity to drive very often, I sincerely miss just getting in a car and going somewhere.

SIX FLAGS: I suppose this falls under road trips. Also: I love roller coasters.

OUTSIDE/ROOFTOP BBQ/PARTY: I've already done this, and I will continue to do this. I want to cook ALL THE MEAT. Having never looked forward to being outdoors during the summer (due to its unbearable heat and misery in the south) I now want to explore what summer outside is all about.

I think I also want to go swimming.

Oh, and visit some outlet malls. We can't forget retail therapy. 

3 comments:

  1. you should road trip to starved rock state park...its pretty amazing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lots of trails and breath taking views...if you are a fan of hiking...i can give you details if you want...

      Delete